Saturday, September 6, 2008

Pretty Much an Addiction

I'm not sure how this happened but I am addicted to U.S. politics. I don't want to live in the U.S. ( no offense, I do love to shop there) but I want to vote so badly I can taste it. I haven't wanted anything this badly since Isaac Mizrahi snakeskin pumps were marked down at Nordstrom Rack. And I want to donate money, which I can't but I would happily eat beans and rice and donate the rest if I could. I wish Canadian politics moved me in the same way. I find it hard to care and I shouldn't.

I have taught about and studied the American system for years and its flaws. But they got something sort of right. You vote for your president. Maybe the Electoral College skews it but you get to vote for your person and put your ballot to it. In Canada, we don't get to do that and I think we should. There is something powerful about seeing that name, going to vote to show your support for that candidate and supporting and cheering them on.

I want Barack Obama to win. I am addicted to Time Magazine's "Swampland"and get a little distressed if it hits my email late. I can feel the contagious pulse of the Democratic movement and the rustling of the grassroots groundswell and I want to be part of it. I wished I was in Denver to hear his speech; I wanted to cheer on Michelle. I wonder how many other people, like me sitting on the sidelines, are watching the American political scene, understanding how it effects the world, and want to jump up and shake America and say, " Can't you see???"

Change is not only something to believe in; it is essential. I wonder if you can buy a US ballot of eBay.

No comments: